I have been on a salmon kick lately, but I can’t seem to help it because it’s just THAT GOOD. Salmon takes hard,y any time to cook, it makes such a healthy meal option and there are so many delicious ways you can make it so it’s pretty much a no- Rainer as to why it is one of my favorite dishes to cook. I’m so excited to share this Hummus Crusted Salmon with a fresh lemon arugula salad!
This entire recipe literally takes less than 30 minutes to throw together so it’s a perfect healthy meal you can serve for your family on those busy weeknights that tastes just as good as any salmon dish you might order from a restaurant! It’s so moist and flavorful with a nice crunch and I promise your family will be super impressed.
Most of the time I get Alaskan wild-caught Salmon because it’s natural, sustainable as well as a great source of protein and I really try to incorporate into our diets at least once a week (if not more!) especially since my Dad’s heart attack.
I purchase my salmon fresh from the grocery store, but you can easily get it frozen if you preferred. Did you know that there are 5 different species of salmon you can choose from? They include king, sockeye, coho, keta and pink, and there are so many ways you can cook them too! Pan-searing, grilling, steaming, poaching, broiling, baking in foil… I mean the possibilities are truly endless when it comes to cooking salmon and it’s definitely fun to mix things up so you never get tired of the same old dish!
To make this dish, I spread a thin layer of hummus over top of each salmon fillet then topped that with a panko breadcrumb mixture I made using a combination of a little grass-fed butter, Dijon, honey and fresh thyme. This keeps the salmon nice and moist as it bakes while still giving you a nice crunch from the breadcrumbs! The result is perfectly flaky, tender fish with so much flavor in every bite. I personally used a roasted garlic flavored hummus because that is what I already had on hand, but feel free to use whatever hummus you’d like! I served this salmon with a lemony arugula salad that is super simple to throw together while the salmon bakes in the oven and adds such a light, fresh taste while still getting in those greens!
This salad is one I literally make on a regular basis because of how quick and easy it is to make (only 5 ingredients!) and I’m just in love with the taste. A delicious mixture of lemon, olive oil and honey with a little salt and cracked pepper, it’s simple yet flavorful and you probably already have all the ingredients at home!
- Serving size: 1 Salmon Fillet + 1 cup Arugula
- Calories: 477
- Fat: 26.1
- Saturated fat: 9.8
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Sugar: 5.2
- Fiber: 1.8
- Protein: 47.7
- 4 (6 oz) Alaska salmon fillets, fresh or frozen, thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup hummus (I used roasted garlic)
- ½ cup panko crumbs (whole wheat is preferred if you can find it)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup grass fed unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 cups arugula
- 2½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt and cracked black pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place salmon fillets on a prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Spread a think layer of hummus (about a tablespoon each) over each fillet.
- In a small bowl, combine panko, parmesan and thyme while in another bowl whisk together butter, Dijon and honey. Pour butter mixture over the panko and mix well. Evenly distribute the panko mixture on top of each salmon fillet, pressing firmly into the salmon.
- Bake salmon for 20 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork. While salmon is baking, whisk together lemon juice, zest, honey, olive oil and salt and pepper and toss with the arugula.
- Serve the salmon fillets with lemon arugula salad and enjoy!
Smart Points: 13
You could also serve this hummus crusted salmon with a side of roasted veggies like broccoli, asparagus or green beans or throw it over a bed of rice. Either way, I think this will definitely be a new favorite recipe for your family!
Also! If you want to make your own hummus instead of buying it at the store – here is my favorite recipe!